10 Startling Facts You Need To Know About Leander Paes
Img source: WeeklytimesofIndia
Having won eight doubles and eight mixed doubles Grand Slam titles and finishing as runner up in numerous other Grand Slam finals, he is considered to be one of the greatest and most respected contemporary doubles and mixed doubles players in the world. He is among the most successful professional Indian tennis players and is also the former captain of the Indian Davis Cup team. He is the recipient of India’s highest sporting honour, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, in 1996–1997; the Arjuna Award in 1990; and the Padmashree award in 2001 for his outstanding contribution to tennis in India. Paes completed the career grand slam in men’s doubles after winning the Australian Open in 2012. He is the sports ambassador of the Indian state of Haryana.
On 12th Of July’2015 he won his 16th Grand Slam along with his Mixed doubles partner Martina Hingis. Here are 10 Amazing facts of his phenomenal career.
1. His consecutive Olympic appearances from 1992 to 2012 make him the first Indian and first & only tennis player to compete at six Olympic Games (shooters Karni Singh and Randhir Sing and luger Shiva Keshavan earlier competed in five Olympics Games).
2. After winning the mixed doubles Wimbledon title in 2010, Paes became only the second man (after Rod Laver) to win Wimbledon titles in three different decades.
3. Apart from the ATP circuit, he also plays in World Team Tennis for the Washington Kastles, being on the 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 championship teams and was named Male MVP for 2009 and 2011 for all of World Team Tennis.
4. Vece Peas his father was a midfielder in the bronze medal-winning Indian field hockey team at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
5. His mother Jennifer Peas captained the Indian basketball team in the 1980 Asian basketball championship.
6. Paes is a direct descendant of the great 19th century Bengali poet Michael Madhushudhan Dutta through his mother.
7. Leander is regarded as having a strange playing style. He varies his play as the match goes on.
8. He played a Lead actor in a movie called Rajdhani Express released in 2013.
9. Leander Paes is known for changing partnerships and he has had 100 different partners over his career.
10. He became the oldest man to ever win a grand slam title when he and Hingis won the mixed doubles at the Australian Open in January’15.
Thank you Leander for making India proud, What Sachin is for Cricket in India, Leander is for Tennis in India.
Latest posts by Abhijit Das (see all)
- [Trailer] ‘Half Girlfriend’, The Chetan Bhagat Novel That Shook The Youth Of India Is Now A Movie - April 10, 2017
- These Photos Of The Longest Train Ride Of India Will Take Your Breath Way - March 15, 2016
- [Watch] This Brilliant Ad Campaign Against Cigarette Smoking Has Sunny Leone And Aloknath In It - February 24, 2016